Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fall Break Vacation | Part 1

This fall we headed to California to visit my brother and his family. We also made a few stops during our trip.

On the way to Novato, we stopped in Redlands for a night.  We stayed with Dana's friend, Jaime, and his wife Sarah.  Redlands has this amazing ice cream shop that we went to after Jaime and Sarah's wedding rehearsal dinner.  I have been thinking about that place ever since.  So, of course, we had to go again.


Last time I got the salted caramel and my kids got the chocolate lavender.  They didn't care for the lavender and honey topping, but that was exactly what I was craving so I ordered the chocolate lavender and got them a plain chocolate scoop.  In hindsight... I should have ordered the topping on theirs and ate it myself.  Dana got the fresh mint chip.


Yum!!!  I am craving it now.


Aiyana enjoying her ice cream while she watches them make it for other customers.


The next morning we stopped at local bakery before heading out.  The girls wanted cinnamon rolls and so did I.  Since I eat gluten free I haven't had a cinnamon roll since I tried making them several months back.  Mine did not turn out so well.  So I needed a cinnamon roll fix.  This bakery had gluten free cinnamon rolls... Yay!


I took a few bites and decided that if I was going to eat all of those calories, I was going to do it the right way.  I asked the lady to warm it up and top it with butter.


On to Novato we went.  We were forced to drive part of the trip through Oakland and came with-in a few feet of a very nasty accident.  I was peering out my window thinking "we are in a very shady area of the city".  I was focused on a man dancing in the street with a cigaret in his mouth.  All of a sudden I heard this loud bang... Like someone fired a gun.  The man immediately ducked and held his position.  I wanted to scream, but I was frozen.  I looked in front of our car and the vehicle ahead of us appeared to have been trying to make a right hand turn and someone coming from the opposite direction t-boned them.  I said a little prayer and thanked God for keeping us safe.

We soon hit beautiful Novato and winded our way through the town to my brother's house.  The kids went crazy when they saw each other.  It was a pretty loud and eventful night.  


Then they crashed...


The next day we headed to Muir Woods to see the redwoods.


It was so dark under those humongous trees and trying to get a picture of these three together is nearly impossible... the little rug rats.



My sister-in-law, Mary, dared to take a picture of us with my camera lol.  Poor thing. I have a manual focus box in my viewer and I was too lazy to switch it off.


My brother took a picture of me explaining my camera to her ha, ha.


Mary took this picture with her camera...


...and my brother caught this one of the kids.








The girls and I taking a little break from our hike.  I was wearing boots with heals... Dumb idea.




I love how the light beamed through the trees...


The next stop was Point Reyes Lighthouse so we could venture out to the western most point of California.  It was so beautiful there.



The girls really loved the view.


We could see the fog creeping in so we hurried to the lighthouse before it was engulfed.




Point Reyes Lighthouse



Mary took these pictures...

I love this silhouette of my brother on the lighthouse viewing deck with the sun behind him.  Good job Mary!


Cute!


The wind was a bit obnoxious




Back to my camera...



Poor Clara... Couldn't see a darn thing with all of that hair.



The fog had found us...


You can see it rolling off the side of this cliff.


We went inside the lighthouse to hear about it's history.



This picture was taken as we were heading up the 300 steps to the parking lot.


The kids had to stop for breaks on the way back up.


That night we got pizza and cake and celebrated Mason's 5th birthday a little early.


No comments: