Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ensenada, Mexico | Day 1

We had a wonderful opportunity to stay in a beach front home in Ensenada, Mexico this past weekend.  The Marais family allowed us to stay in their vacation home and we are so grateful to them.  This was the second time that I've crossed the border by car.  The first time was years ago when I went with a group of friends to Matamoros, across from Brownsville, Texas.  So I was a bit nervous with all the warnings about crossing the border and driving in Mexico.  I have many friends that go to Rocky Point by car, though, and I had been re-assured that we should be just fine.  We never had any troubles during our stay.  In fact, I felt very safe.

Crossing the border into Tecate, Mexico.


Vineyards on the way into Ensenada.  I really wanted to stop for some tastings, but we were on a mission to get the beach.


We arrived at the house and b-lined to the back to check out the view.  As you can see, Aiyana could hardly wait...


The girls changed very quickly, but I made them wait until we were all ready to head down to the beach.



They were so anxious to swim...


Clara doing her dance.  This girl cracks us up.  She has this goofy dance that is quite unique.  I'll call it the Clara Jig.




The first dip in the ocean.  They were in love.  This was the best beach for kids.  The swells were small and there wasn't much of a current at all.  It was all-around the perfect beach because you also get a wonderful breeze in Ensenada.  It was dry and in the low 80's while we were there.


We invited my mom and the Santiagos to join us.  Nigel was Dana's mission mate in the Philippines.  It was good to hear their stories as they reminisced about their mission over-seas.


Clara collecting wet sand for her sand castle...


Speaking of sand... Ensenada has the most beautiful flecks of gold in the sand.  I looked it up and it sounds like it might be Pyrite, otherwise known as "fools gold".  In any case, It looked like body glitter when you got it on your legs.  Very pretty stuff.


I love these shots of the kids playing in the sand...



More of the beautiful shimmering sand...


As the sun started to set, we headed into town to get dinner and groceries.


Here are some of the pictures that I took of the house and the property...


This was the view from mine and Dana's room. I loved sleeping to the sounds of the ocean.


Steps heading down from our room...




The front of the house...


This was taken from the courtyard of the house...


They had tons of beautiful cactus plants decorating the property...




View of the house from the beach.  The house on the right is also owned by the Marais family.



I was curious as to what type of fruit these are so I looked it up when I got home and it looks like they are pineapple guava.  They were not ripe enough to eat when we were there.



I still have no clue what this is, but it looks neat.



No comments: