Sunday, March 9, 2014

Gluten Free BBQ Chicken & Mashed Potato Burritos

I am a photographer, but a food photographer I am not.  So just keep that in mind while looking at my photography work on these food posts ha, ha.  This is all about food, how to make it and eating gluten free.  Sometimes I have a hard time taking pictures because I just want to eat what I am seeing.  

How did I come up with this recipe you might ask.  Well, when I lived in Iowa I knew a guy who owned a rather nice restaurant in Iowa City.  He was a good friend and I ate at his restaurant often.  My favorite dish was the chicken and mashed potato burritos.  I guess it is safe to say that I was in love with them.  So fast forward to now.  I haven't had one of those scrumptious burritos since maybe 2004.  That's ten years ago!  So I made my own gluten free version.

What you need...

~ Udi's Gluten Free Tortillas
~ Chicken Breasts
~ BBQ Sauce
~ Mashed Potatoes (and what it takes to make them)
~ Celery
~ 1 Onion
~ Olive Oil
~ Salt, Cracked Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Seasoned Salt
~ Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese (I used dairy free cheese on mine)

Season chicken with salt, garlic powder and cracked pepper. Smother the chicken in BBQ sauce and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Saute onion rings in olive oil and season with seasoned salt.  To make it easy on yourself, buy instant potatoes.  I personally LOVE Costco's mashed potatoes.  I seasoned the potatoes with onion powder, salt, garlic powder and cracked pepper.  Add diced celery to the onions.  Saute until the onions are clear.  Once the chicken is baked, shred it.  I used the sauce in the bottom of the chicken dish to make my own buttery BBQ sauce.  I added a tablespoon of butter (I never said this was healthy), honey, brown sugar, garlic powder and brown sugar.  Keep the sauce warm.  Spread a generous layer of potatoes on a warm gf tortilla.  Next layer with shredded chicken.  Cover the chicken with some of the onions and celery.  Pour some sauce over it and add a Mexican blend of shredded cheese. Roll it and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  I added cheese on top for the kids because my youngest likes to see the cheese.

One of my favorite smells when cooking in the kitchen is the smell of onions cooking in olive oil... so yummy.


My stove top was screaming comfort food...


Refer to the beginning of this post.... I am NOT a food photographer, but this is what the burrito looks like before you roll it up.  I was dying to eat it so I did not care about taking a good picture ha, ha.


Here's the one I made for the girls, with the cheese on top.


The kids loved it and we loved it so I would say it was a success.  We don't eat this unhealthy that often, but comfort food is a necessity in life.

So to top off our "comfort food" evening I made gluten free brownies and I had the cutest little assistant to help me.


No recipes here... just buy Bob's Mill gluten free brownie mix.  Add chocolate chips and your favorite nuts and walla.


They are ooey, gooey and oh so good.


No comments: