Thursday, October 17, 2013

Dana Turns 34


These days it seems like our birthdays (mine and Dana's) are just like any other day... boo!  I tried really hard to make Dana's day special for him yesterday, but between photography edits, dance classes, school for Aiyana and her homework... It was pretty much like every other day only with more of an effort put into our dinner ;o).

I asked Dana what he wanted for his birthday dinner and I was given the choice of making Navajo Tacos or a Philippine dish called Chicken Adobo.  I went for the Chicken Adobo.  I certainly need some work on preparing this dish.  I followed a recipe, and despite my apprehensions about the amount of vinegar it called for, I did what the recipe said anyway.  It was pretty darn vinegary, but if you could look past that... you could taste the potential in this meal and I will definitely be making it again.  After all, I can't leave off with that attempt :o/.

This was the chicken after I had it cooking in the sauce for a few hours.  I put it in the broiler and let the skin get nice and brown and crispy... it was delicious.  I served it with rice and the super vinegary sauce.  Next time... equal parts vinegar, coconut milk and soy sauce.


 The cake was a gluten free M&M cake (poor Dana and the girls have to subject to my gluten free diet when it comes to sweets).  Good thing gluten free deserts are pretty good. Dana is a huge fan of M&M's so I made the Heath Bar Cake with chocolate sauce instead of caramel and topped it with M&M's instead of Heath Bar pieces. It was so good.  In fact, I am going to have another slice tonight... yum.


My sister-in-law, Mary, is in town for a meeting so Mary and Mason were here to help us celebrate and so was my mom.  Family is such a blessing.  I know Dana's parents would have loved to be here as well.  They sent him a very generous gift for his birthday.

Check out Aiyana's face in the above photo ha, ha.  She loves her some sweets.



No comments: