Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Page Arizona with the Cummings family.  Most of Dana's family made it to his parents house to celebrate the holiday.  The girls were super excited to see their cousins and the whole way up to Page Aiyana would announce "I'm so excited".  It was super cute. I usually take a whole slew of pictures during our vacations, but this time I took more video than I did pictures.  In fact, I got video of Dana's Masani giving a message to her grandkids in the Navajo language (Masani doesn't speak any english).  I interviewed her and asked her what she thought about her grandkids and I asked her what her hopes and dreams were for them.  I have the video on my camcorder so I will have to figure out how to upload it at a later time.  I also recorded Masani giving a Thanksgiving message to her family like she does every year. This is the first year that I recorded her talking to us. I had Dana's mom translate :o).

One day we all went out for a hike.  We were post turkey and wanting something active to do.  We took the kiddos down through a wash outside of Lechee Arizona.  I thought this picture of the Page power plant was kind of neat because of the lighting.


The highlight of the hike, for the kids, was running and sliding down the dirt cliffs.  Sounds wonderful eh?  Then Dana's brother, Don, showed us how the lizards like to hide inside the dirt on the cliffs.  He would grab a clump of sand and dirt and rip it off the cliff and about 100 lizards would run scurrying around.  It made all of the little girls scream like crazy.  It was pretty impressive and creepy.

I stopped hiking after a while and let Dana head further into the wash with the girls while I sat on a mesa and just enjoyed the peaceful silence of the desert.  I looked around me and found nothing of interest to photograph.  Not only were we in the desert, but we are also approaching winter so nothing was in bloom.  Once the sun started to set I was getting bored so I decided that I would use the backlighting of the sunset to make the desert come to life.  I love the images that I captured.


This one is my favorite...




One of the nights the girls wanted to have a little performance show in grandma and grandpa's basement. I thought that the signs were cute with all of the mis-spellings.  I'm not sure who made the signs, but they kept running Aiyana upstairs to tape them to the wall where the adults were sitting. It reminded me of the times when my cousins and I would put on performances for my aunts, uncles and my Nana.


Here's a video of Clara dancing with her cousin Tessa.  I love how she puts her hands on her hips and shakes her bum bum and how she watches her reflection in the TV to see how she looks.



  The rest of the videos had to be uploaded to You Tube because they were too long.  Here's one of the girls performing to the song "Go My Son".  If you are interested in reading the lyrics go HERE.


(in the video: Skye, Gabrielle, Aiyana, Jaynee, Jakell & Tessa)

Here's my niece, Tessa, hoop dancing.  Tessa is in 2nd grade and she has only had 4 hoop dancing lessons.  She's pretty good at it for only having 4 lessons.  Be sure to watch the next video where she creates an eagle with the hoops.  Each hoop formation represents an animal or an object used by Native Americans.



No comments: