Thursday, October 4, 2012

Running

I started working out at the beginning of September, but I haven't gotten serious about running until about mid September.  Around that time I signed up for my first 5K in over 5 years. It's been a long time since I've ran a road race and I am super excited to start doing them again.  My goal is to be able to run a 10k by the end of the year.  Here's what I've done so far...

I started with a 7 mile hike into Sycamore Canyon on Parson's Spring Trail. If you click HERE it will take you to my post about that hike.  It was a leisurely hike, but the distance, terrain and the fact that we had to climb back out of the canyon made it a good work out.

On September 20th I got home from work and decided that I was going to run no matter what.  I had been walking up to this point, but I was ready to run.  Never mind that it was 106 outside... I was going to run! So I set out for at least 2 miles.  I made it 1.4 and I am not going to lie, I stopped a few times.  I thought I might die and I thought that my head might explode from the heat.  I was miserable and I was very sore the next day.

On September 24th it was in the 90's and I wanted to beat my last running stats. I didn't think it would be too tough considering I was getting in shape by the day and the weather was cooler. I ran 2.05 miles that day and I shaved off a whole minute from my pace.  Huge improvement.

On September 26th my goal, again, was to beat my last run.  So, I went a whole whopping .2 miles further and a whole .02 seconds faster on my pace.  Hey, any improvement is some improvement... right?

September 27th I ventured out on another hike which you can view HERE. It was very pretty and I couldn't resist making it another leisurely hike while using my camera to capture the beauty around me.  It was a 3.68 mile hike and it involved some climbing and descending into valleys along South Mountain.

October 2nd, I met a neighbor for a walk early in the morning. We both walked with double strollers and did about 2 miles together then I continued on for another mile.  So a total of 3 miles of walking on the 2nd.

October 3rd I woke up (not wanting to run), but I managed to get ready to go without talking myself out of it. I am so glad that I did.  I wanted to run 2.5 miles without stopping.  That was my goal... and I wanted to make sure that I ran less than a 9 minute mile pace.  At 2 miles I knew I had it.  In fact, I knew that I would run a full 5k that day. So I kept going and when my Nike Plus app told me that I had reached 3 miles I gave it everything I had for the last .2 miles.

So here's the break down...

9/20: 1.4 miles 9.55 min mile pace
9//24: 2.05 miles 8.55 min mile pace
9/26: 2.2 miles 8.53 min mile pace
9/27: 3.68 mile hike
10/2: 3 mile walk
10/3: 3.2 miles 9.13 min mile pace

In addition to the walking, hiking and running work outs... I have been doing a work out video in my home (two mornings a week) and I have been playing volleyball on Monday mornings.  I am keeping things interesting by mixing it up, I tend to get bored if I do too much of one thing.  I am also working on different muscle groups which helps support the muscles that I use for running.

Tonight I will be going on another hike and I don't plan to bring my camera.  This time I want to challenge myself and go faster.  This hike is suppose to be harder than the last so that is good.  I will track it on my Nike Plus app and see how it goes.

1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

GREAT job Amber!
i bet you feel awesome!!!
i miss that runner's high!
once the girls are old enough to stay by themselves i plan on getting back into it