Tuesday, August 7, 2012

ER Visit with Clara

This morning was going to be my first day back at work after a very short vacation to the midwest.  I was less than thrilled to have to get up and get ready for work when I hadn't un-packed all the way and I had tons of laundry to do.  I am so ready to be a SAHM.  Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed knowing that I only have to do a M-F work schedule for 4 more weeks.  I was ready to head out of the house when I set Clara on the kitchen island to give her a gummy vitamin and whatever quick breakfast snack I could conjure up before her true breakfast at daycare.  I turned for a minute to take my own vitamins and when I turned back around I saw Clara turn to put her hands on the counter, but she misjudged her hand placement and went straight to the floor... head first.  I couldn't get to her fast enough as I witnessed her slam her head onto the linoleum with her neck kinked and her legs bending above her.  I was horrified.  I quickly picked her up, supporting her neck and she was silently crying.  I knew it was going to be one of those breath holding spells.  I was screaming, which probably didn't help.  It took a while before she took a breath.  Her head started to drop back and she turned purple before that first breath was taken.  I sat with her on the floor and her eyes kept fluttering and she had some weird horizontal eye movements.  I was so scared.  After a few head swirls and some heavy looking eyes I decided I wasn't going to wait out the critical two hours at home so we went straight to PCH.  We spent a few hours in the ER.  No skull fractures and no brain bleeds (thank Heavens), but she suffered from a pretty bad concussion.  She's been pretty lethargic all day and very unsteady on her feet.  The doctor thinks that she will get better with time, but if not we are to take her back in.  I am exhausted from today's events and the last thing I want to do is go to work tomorrow and not watch my little Clara to make sure she is okay.  Dana will be staying home with her tomorrow so I know he will keep a good eye on our baby girl.  I am so grateful for her recovery and for Our Heavenly Father who watches over her.

4 comments:

tbsomeday said...

Poor baby Clara!!
SO scary!!!
and such a reminder of how fragile our little babies are.

I'll send feel better prayers your way.
Thank goodness she is ok!!

Jana said...

Poor Clara :( Hugs you to all. Thank god she's ok!

Sandi said...

Hey, don't mess around with that (of course you already know that). It took a full six months for my male spousal unit to recover from his concussion last year. It was scary. I had him back and forth from doctor to MRI and back to doctor again every few days. Watch her carefully.

Rebecca Rushton said...

How scary! I'm glad she is ok!