Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 4 - Back to Chicago

On Sunday we drove back to Chicago and headed straight to St. Charles to have one last visit with Nana before our flight home the following day.  Nana had a surprise visitor.  We knew he was coming, but she didn't.  This is Harold, Nana's friend's husband.  After Nana's friend passed away, Harold kept in touch.  He and Nana would hang out from time to time to keep each other company.




Nana had so much fun tossing around a ball with Aiyana.  My mom spoke to Nana on the phone today (2 weeks after our visit) and Nana asked if Aiyana would be coming to visit.  It breaks my heart that we cannot see her more often.


Love this...


The next morning, before flying out, we decided to make a quick trip to Navy Pier.  Aiyana was pretty cranky at the pier.  She refused to let my mom get a picture of me sitting on this ledge by the water.  My mom snuck in one shot, but the lighting wasn't great. I don't know what Aiyana's deal was... Maybe just too much vacation... Out of sorts?  Anyway, here's little miss cranky pants :o)...



It was very windy on the pier...


Here's the one photo that my mom got of me.  I think Aiyana may even be at my feet crying :o/


...but, how could you be mad at this face?


View of downtown from the pier...


We rode this...






Someone was having a lot of fun...


Aiyana rode the merry-go-round with my mom...



After this ride, Aiyana had another melt down.  She wanted to ride more rides.  In fact, she kept saying that she wanted to ride the spinning ride (i.e. the tilt-a-whirl that we rode at the fair).  When she realized I wouldn't cave she started begging me to hold her.  I did for a while, but it was hot and she wouldn't let me sit with her in my lap so I eventually had to put her down.  She freaked and then it was major melt down mode again.  That was the end of our Navy Pier adventure. 

All-in-all... Aiyana did so well on this trip.  She was such a good little helper with the luggage in the airport, she did excellent on the plane and she hardly ever complained.  She felt like such a big girl traveling with us.  One of my favorite things that she said on this trip was when we were in the Phoenix airport trying to figure out what time we would be arriving in Chicago.  My mom and I were debating on our arrival time while Aiyana walked in front of us with the carry-on you see in the picture below.  In the middle of our debate, Aiyana turns around mid step, throws out her arm and says "C'mon guys, we don't have time for this".  She had to be somewhere! :o)


Almost to Phoenix... We spotted a rainbow.  My mom says that she felt like it was a sign that Nana would be okay and not to worry.


1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

beautiful pier pics!
even if cranky :)

so cute about the 'we don't have time for this' saying
kids are so cute!

LOVE that rainbow picture!!