Monday, June 11, 2012

Lake Powell 2012 - Houseboat Trip

I promise I tried to keep the picture posting at a minimum, but it was hard to choose because there were many... you know me. Anyway, we had a wonderful time on Lake Powell. We went the weekend after Memorial Day. Dana's family rented a fairly large houseboat and everyone pitched in to spend four fun filled days on the lake. We crammed my Acadia full of camping gear and food and headed north on Thursday.  I should have included the crammed car picture... there was not space to be had in that vehicle. It held four adults and two kids in car seats, plus all of our stuff (including tents, clothes, blankets, food and a cooler). On our way north we came across three Olympic torch runners which was pretty cool. We made it to the boat at the marina around noon and we found our temporary home, behind Castle Rock, around 2:00 pm. Enjoy the pictures!

View of the lake from the top deck of our boat...
This picture made the cut because I thought it was so brave of Aiyana to want to go down the houseboat slide. She looks pretty hesitant. That's my mom behind her, offering support :o).
My brother-in-law, Lorin, was waiting in the water to catch her. She went under and didn't care for that part so much so that was the end of the slide interest.
Sunset on the first night...
The next morning...
The first evening was a scary one. Long story short, there was a crash, as loud as a bomb, around 12:30 in the morning. It woke me from a dead sleep. Just about everyone heard it or woke from the noise. The following picture shows what had happened.  There was a rock piece that cracked off of the side of the rock wall and crashed not too far from my tent.
Here's my tent in proximity to the rock wall... Scary. We slept in the houseboat the remainder of the trip.  So we traded another possible deadly rock avalanche for a lower cabin next to the generator where the carbon monoxide alarm went off every night while we were asleep :o/. I later learned that those cabins can be very dangerous and many people have gotten sick from sleeping in unventilated houseboat cabins. I am convinced that the Lord has a really good plan for me because I was put in some risky situations... :o). Okay, maybe that's thinking a bit extreme. Anyway... Our tent...
The girls on a paddle boat with their cousin Jewel (far right) and Jewel's cousin Remi (in the middle).
Awful picture of me, but I was sans a normal shower... and it was hot... and I had no makeup on... so cut me some slack :o). We took lake water showers on the boat in order to not fill up the holding tank on the boat. The lake water shower was surprisingly refreshing after a long day out in the sun.  Best of all, the generator warmed up the water so you could take a hot shower if you wanted. 
View of our boat and campsite from the water...
Dana wake boarding for the first time this year...
Cool rock formation...
Sand King... My mom and some others conquered this sand filled climb.  Apparently it is extremely difficult. I didn't do it because I wasn't feeling so well that day.
We went for a walk one morning...
I like the reflection of the rock in this picture. We saw a sand crane on the white rock in the middle of this picture. I wish I would have included that picture as well, but it doesn't do justice to the size of that bird anyway.  I thought it was an alien at first :o). It was HUGE.
I think this is a cute picture of Dana carrying Clara during our walk...
Along with the houseboat, we had a lot of water toys to use... Three jet boats, two jet skis, two kayaks, one paddle boat and two tubes.
The highlights of my trip, from a personal standpoint, were the jet ski rides and the tubing... sooo much fun. Here's Aiyana on a tube with her cousins, Jaynee (holding her), Jakell (in back), Gabrielle (to the right) and Tessa (up front).
I went on a wild ride with Dana.  My mom thought I was crazy for wanting to go so fast, but I was convinced that they couldn't get me off. They never did ;o). Here you see Dana fall off saving me from my pending fate because, of course, we cannot leave him in the water while they try to get me to "eat it". I also went on a ride with a couple of other girls and it took the guys forever to get one of us off... poor Karen.  Once again, I stayed on.


My mom is an adrenalin junky, but here you can see that she was terrified on the tube.  I don't know what she was so scared of??? Doing cartwheels across the water perhaps?
My family and I on the tube.  I should have included the zoomed in picture.  The look on the girl's faces were priceless at that moment.  Clara is looking at Aiyana and laughing because her and Dana almost flew off.  Devious little thing... She's just like her mommy :o).
My brother-in-law, Travis, attempting a flip on a wake board.
My mom and I were caught doing this much of the trip :o). Dana called us Asian vacationers.  I hope I didn't offend anyone here, but I do think we have a little of that neurotic photography blood in us.
On the last night Dana's dad, Olin, prepared a game of family history for everyone.  The kids got to pick out a balloon from a large bag and pop it. Inside was a paper with a name from someone in the family (the in-laws sides were included as well).  The kids got to guess which person that name belonged to. It was a neat way to learn about everyone's family history.  Olin talked of my Grandpa Hacker's side of the family, the Lutrell's, who owned huge castles in Dublin and in England back in the 1700's and he also talked of my great grandma, Berdie (my mom's grandma), and how the family ate what they raised on their farm and they couldn't really afford much else.
The End! I hope you enjoyed reliving my trip with me.

No comments: