Thursday, June 7, 2012

5 Year Anniversary at Phoenix Children's Hospital

I finally got my invitation for a Service Award Luncheon, recognizing 5 years of employment at Phoenix Children's Hospital (PCH). As of January (of this year) I have been with PCH for five years.  It will be a bitter-sweet luncheon because, for the first time in 13 years, I will be letting my career take a backseat to my family.  In September I will be cutting back hours, to a per diem status, allowing me to focus more on being a mom and all of the responsibilities that come along with tending to a family, a home and a hobby that I have recently turned into a business. I am hoping that this decision will allow me to have better balance in my life while still maintaining my skills in a career that I feel very passionate about.

For those of you who do not know exactly what I do...

I work closely with neurologists setting up and running neurodiagnostic tests to help in diagnosing various neurological disorders. Fifty percent of my time, is spent running EEG's to help diagnose epilepsy.  The other fifty percent of my time is spent in the OR monitoring various neurosurgery cases and orthopaedic surgeries ranging from tumor resections to posterior spinal fusions.  The tests we run in the OR help aid the surgeon during an operation while he/she is working close to important neural structures.

I am the third generation in my family to do Electroneurodiagnostics (END). My grandma (Nana) was a EEG Technologist back when they would cross-train Respiratory Techs to do EEG's.  My aunt is also an EEG Technologist and currently manages a lab in Iowa. I also have a cousin who is a technologist as well as many, many friends who entered the field of EEG.  I often say that this field of work is "in my blood" :o).

Many of my close friends and family know some of the trials that I have had, after having children, and continuing to work amongst very sick kids.  It has been emotionally difficult, but also rewarding to know that I have made a difference in someones life. After having children, my perspective changed.  I always felt apathy for the sick and for the families of those that are sick, but that apathy intensified after experiencing a motherly love.  There was a time, after I had Clara, that I wasn't sure if I could see another abuse case or witness another poor soul suffer from some awful ailment.  I would shut myself in a room and cry sometimes and then proceed to the patient's room and finish my work.  During that time, I would tell myself that it was because I cared so much that I was supposed to do this work and it helped me through those months. 

I have worked in the field of Neurodiagnostics for 13 years and I have been employed by many great facilities... The University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics (as an EEG Technologist), Illini Hospital (as an EEG Technologist), Scott Community College (as a Program Director & Instructer for the END Program), managing a sleep lab (as a registered Sleep Technologist) and then on to Phoenix Children's Hospital (as an IONM/Special Procedures Technologist).  I have met so many great people along the way, but my biggest milestones in life have been achieved while working at Phoenix Children's Hospital. My co-workers have seen me through marriage, buying a house, pregnancies, the birth of both of my children and much more. I love the people that I work with and they have been a huge part of my life here in Phoenix.  Phoenix Children's Hospital has been a great place to work and I hope to enjoy my employment there for years to come.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

It is wonderful to be recognized for your hard work and dedication. I am so very proud of you! Excellent, excellent post!