Sunday, January 8, 2012

Soup For The Soul

I didn't know what to call this soup... other than Delicious Soup, but Soup For The Soul sounded like a better title :o).

I started a better, healthier, eating plan as of the first of the year. My diet plan is to cut out gluten and most dairy (I will eat yogurt and some items that have milk products in them) and I am limiting caffeine and sugar. These are all things that I either eat too much of or I think might be causing me to feel pretty crummy all of the time. I like this diet plan because it forces me to stop eating processed foods (since wheat is in just about everything). I am forced to eat healthier and to be conscious of what I am eating every time I chose a meal or grab something to eat at work. I am allowing myself to eat whatever I want of anything else, but what is left over are things that I don't tend to sit on the couch and eat until I am in a food coma. This plan doesn't leave me feeling like I might starve, but it allows me to have control over my food choices and I am losing weight already (big bonus). On that note... Here is one of my favorite meals that I have cooked. Credit due to my friend Tabby for inspiring me to make this soup and leading me to most of the ingredients...


Ingredients:

1 can of Diced Tomatoes

1 can of Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)

2 Chicken Bullion cubes

2 Tomato Bullion cubes

1 cup of Brown Rice

1 Chicken Breast

Swiss Chard (cut into strips)

4 of the tomato cans of water


Season to taste:

Salt

Pepper

Garlic Powder

Basil

Oregano


In a frying pan, cook the chicken breast with your choice of seasoning, olive oil and water. While that is cooking add all of the ingredients into a crock pot while leaving out the swiss chard. Once the chicken is cooked, let it cool then shred it into the crock pot. Simmer the soup on high for 4 hours or low for 8. Add the swiss chard approximately 30 minutes prior to eating.

Tip: My friend Tab made this soup with sweet potatoes instead of the chicken and she left it cooking in the crock pot while she was at work.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

looks yummy!!!

tbsomeday said...

mmm
looks awesome amber!

i'm so glad it turned out!

you are good at putting things together :)

i forgot to tell you i made a vegan version of your chili a week or so ago and it turned out really good!