Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sweet... Chili con Carne

After much deliberation "Sweet Chili con Carne" is the name of my chili. I know... not very creative, but I tried. The name came from the fact that the chili is somewhat sweet and there are two different types of beef in it, ground sirloin and cubed sirloin. Would that be different cuts? They are both considered sirloin? I don't know... Anyway...

Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Onions, diced
1 Green Pepper, diced
1 Red Pepper, diced
3 tablespoons of Minced Garlic (I buy this jarred, it's so much easier)
1 lb of Ground Beef (the higher the fat content, the better)
1 lb Beef Sirloin, cubed
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can of Diced Tomatoes
2 (6 oz.) cans of Tomato Paste
1 (14.5 oz.) can of Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 cup Brandy (it gets cooked- no alcohol content)
1/2 can of Beef Broth
1/2 can of Chicken Broth
2 (15 oz.) cans of Kidney Beans (drained)
2 (15 oz.) cans of Chili Beans (drained)
1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons of Cocoa
1 tablespoon of Chili Powder
1 tablespoon of Cumin
1 teaspoon of Oregano
1 teaspoon of Cayenne
1 teaspoon of Salt
Ground Pepper, to taste
4 dashes of Chipotle Sauce

Brown the meats (seasoned with salt and ground pepper) and saute the onion, peppers and garlic in the extra virgin olive oil. While that is cooking add all of the other ingredients to your crock pot. When the meat is cooked, drain the grease and add the meat to the crock pot. When the onion is translucent, add it and the e.v.o.o to the crock pot. Set on low and let it simmer for 6-8 hours. This should be enough to feed about 10-15 people. Of course, taste the chili while it is cooking. If you like yours with more spice, use hot chili powder and more dashes of chipotle or hot sauce. That is how I would make it if I were cooking for myself.

I wish I could provide pictures, but when I made this I was making three large pots and somewhere between snapping pictures of the canned tomatoes and using the hundreds of spices... I stopped taking pictures. I won second place in a work contest with this, but when I win first... I won't be sharing my recipe :o)

1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

mmm
can you just make it for me??

cindy wants to know if that's it for liquid?

how spicy is it?

could i do it vegetarian do you think?

amber--shame on you for not sharing a winning recipe! share the love ;)