Saturday, August 20, 2011

Apple Butterscotch Dump Cake

I had been craving Dump Cake after having some out of a dutch oven while camping in Utah recently. The two kinds that I've had were peach with yellow cake and cherry with chocolate cake. After browsing through a few recipes, I discovered that the original Dump Cake is a cherry and crushed pineapple filling with a yellow cake. I found many variations of that as well as some that didn't follow any of those ingredients. So I decided that I would make my own. What came to mind... Apples and butterscotch... yummm. It is so unhealthy, but so very delicious. So this is what I did.

Find some apple pie filling, if you want to make it simple, otherwise create your own. Dump the filling inside of a cake pan.


This is the kind that I used (two cans)...



Sprinkle some butterscotch chips on top of the apples.



I used a Super Moist french vanilla cake mix. Dump the cake mix over the apples and butterscotch chips.



Now for the ultimate unhealthy part. Cut a stick of butter into several squares and place them evenly on top of the cake mix.



Put the cake in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour.



Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream. YUMMM!


3 comments:

Jana said...

YUM! Looks fantastic!!!

tbsomeday said...

mmmm!

Anonymous said...

Trying this one tonight