Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tu Tu Tutorial

How to make this...

A No Sew Tu Tu

1.) Buy anywhere from 4-6 yards of tulle, I used 4 yards of two different colors of pink. Note: I made my tu tu shorter, like a ballerina tu tu, but if you want a longer fairy tail tu tu then you will likely need the 6 yards to make the tu tu look more full. Also, if your child is bigger than a toddler size then you will likely need 6 yards of tulle. You will also need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch elastic band and ribbon (if you'd like ribbon on your tu tu).

2.) Cut the tulle into 3 inch wide and 7 1/2 inch long strips (approx. 14 inch long for longer tu tu's). I found that the best way to cut the strips is to roll a square of tulle, cut the un-even ends and then cut the roll every 3 inches. You will end up with rolls like this...


3.) Wrap the elastic band around your child's waist and cut where the band over laps. I took an additional 2 inches off so the elastic would stretch and fit snugly.
~
4.) You can sew or staple the ends together (I chose to hand stitch the ends together). Note: Do not fix the ends together until you have all of the tulle tied on the band. I found that by tying the tulle on the band, I stretched the elastic so, I ended up taking more elastic off when I was finished tying on the tulle.
~
5.) Safety pin the band around something that will allow you to tie the tulle on easily. I put mine on the back of a chair.

6.) Start tying the tulle and every inch or two add a strip of ribbon.

Here is the final product...


...and here is my little ballerina feeling pretty in her tu tu.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT job on the tutu.
DEB

tbsomeday said...

you did a great job amber!!
it's so cute
thanks for the "tu"-torial :)