Monday, August 16, 2010

Why Didn't I Do This Sooner?

I just want to say that I paid a landscaper to come over here and do some work in our front yard and I couldn't be more happy about my decision. Don't get me wrong, I am a do-it-yourself-er, but sometimes you just have to say "how much can one really do and be sane?" In this case it was a matter of do it yourself and pass out or call "mercy". I called "mercy". I started the work myself this morning, but as the temperature sweltered I started to become weak and felt like I might pass out. I was wrapping up the trimming on the bushes when I glanced over at the neighbors yard in envy. His landscaper is out there regularly so he had his little pruners out carefully plucking away at the nicely manicured tree in their front yard. Meanwhile I had the power trimmers out hacking away at bushes that looked like they belonged in an un-inhabited rain forest. I got all of the pruning finished and then I gave up. There was no way I was going to manage picking up the trimmings. I marched on over and asked the landscaper how much he'd charge for a clean up and if he could do it today. He said fifteen dollars... "SOLD". He's out there now and I am just beside myself with giddiness. He is doing such a wonderful job AND he is doing more than I asked. The trees and bushes are pruned beyond my own expectations and he has managed to clean up months worth of old, dead clippings that were left from previous attempts to manicure the yard. Hey... I deserve this and sometimes working full time can pay off. I just have to give myself these rewards once in a while because Dana and I just can't do it all.

3 comments:

Amberly said...

amen. absolutely no judgement here for hiring a little help! you'd never sleep if you always tried to do it all yourself! being a mama, a wife, a housekeeper and then the yard?? enjoy your break!!

brenda hatch said...

fully agree! don and i try to do things ourselves, but sometimes, it's just not worth it! i'm considering hiring someone just to clean bathrooms lol.

tbsomeday said...

i've learned a lot of things are "cheaper" to have done :)
you can't do it all
and, hey--you're supporting the local economy!