Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Plants are Growing

We are entering my second favorite season in the valley of the sun, Fall. Fall was my favorite season in Iowa, but Spring has taken over as my favorite season here because of the sweet smell of the orange blossoms in the spring time. Fall lands a close second because it means the days are still warm, but the nights are cool enough to allow me to open my windows. Take a look at how our plants are doing as we enter the fall months. Our Washingtonia Palms are fanning out like crazy and they are much taller than they were when we first planted them. Our navel oranges are turning orange and our key limes are huge. We have more limes than I know what to do with. Key lime pie anyone? Lastly, I noticed that our Agave plant decided to mother a child... isn't it cute? I am waiting for it to get big enough so that I can pot it over the winter. Then I will re-plant it in another location in the early spring.

Navel Oranges


Key Limes

Agave


This fall I look forward to planting some Ocatillos in our backyard. My plan is to plant them on either side of the Washingtonias. I love the vibrant orange blooms on the ocatillos.

2 comments:

tbsomeday said...

i am so jealous of your spring blossom smell!

your plants look beautiful!
i use agave nectar...you going to squeeze some out of there?
i thought they were a cactus?

Amber said...

It is a cactus plant ;o) I was reading about benefits of agave today actually. You bet ya I'll use the nectar if I can. This plant will get pretty big no time. I can't believe it already pollenated another plant. I also have an aloe.